Saturday, November 8, 2008

New England Chess Championship: Day one

Today was the beginning of the Tournament in Vermont. I was expecting a pseudo-nationals atmosphere, but only 11 people showed up from my section.

What REALLY ticks me off is that some 2020 rated kid is playing in a division with only one person over 1000. This kid should've played in the open section with the 1600-2200 people, but he decided to guarantee a win in a pathetic section. Forsaking progress for profit.

Anyways, on to my day one results.

My first match was against a 530. He matched me blow for blow, but I won a pawn and beat him in the endgame.

My second match was against a 770. I got into a complicated postition and came up with a beautiful attack, winning a rook. I went on cruise control from there.

My third match was against the 2020. I don't think I need to tell you how that went.

My fourth match was against a 900. Despite his higher rating, he was definitely the weakest of my opponents. He hung a bishop, then a knight, then a rook, then another rook. He finally resigned once I got him in a mating net. It was almost dissappointing: I wanted a good match, but won in 15 minutes.

That was the end of the regular tournament's day one. I went to the heated pool, I took a nap, and then we went to the bughouse tournament.

I LOVE BUGHOUSE. I was the club champion of bughouse last year, and I was really excited for the tournament. I easily won the first three rounds. Fourth round I faced none other than the team of the 2020 kid. I decided to face his partner, Rob, rated 1100. I figured that our only chance was me beating him faster than the expert beating my brother. I must've been right, because our team won that match. The kid was in pieces, and he went around begging the teams to beat us. We ended up winning every round.

I, however, did not enjoy our fifth round game. we faced a bunch of five year olds, really good. My opponent kept explaining the rules to me, and I told him "I'm not stupid, I know the rules" and the little brat told me "I doubt that". His partner kept making up rules, like "Pawns can't be dropped on the 7th rank" and "You can't drop checkmate". It was very satisfying to beat them, but my coach got mad at me because I lost my temper. Grr.

Tomorrow we have three rounds to play. Hopefully I will win each of them and place second. (This is realistic, I don't have much opposition.)

I'll post the games after the conclusion of the tournament.

2 comments:

Polly said...

LOL @ the 5 year old bughouse players. Some people actually having dumbass bughouse rules like no pawns on the 7th, and no dropping mates. Getting your partner to sac his queen to get you the knight that you can drop for mate is 1/2 the fun of bughouse.

Often a high rated scholastic player will play in really weak section just so they can have on their "chess resume" New England Middle School Chess Champion. It's sounds more impressive then it is.

I notice a lot of kids from New Jersey. Did a big group of you travel up there for the tournament? If you want some challenging scholastic chess to get you ready for Nationals there are a lot of really good events much closer to New Jersey in NYC. I directed a scholastic tournament on Sunday where there were 34 kids alone in the section you would have played in. If you'd like some links with information about scholastic events that aren't advertised in Chess Life email me.

ppwchess at gmail dot com

Are you going to the grade nationals in Orlando in December of the Super Nationals in Nashville next spring? Both events are a great experience.

chesstiger said...

A very productive day with all wins. Congratulations!