Friday, October 17, 2008

An excuse for being distracted

Hi everyone!

Alright, I've been inactive. I'm still training, but lately I've been captivated by the local tournament. I think I posted my goals, but I'll give a refresher.

1: get to 1000
2: win the local tournament
3: do good in the nationals. (it's in Nashville, Hooray!)

I am currently first place in this tournament, and I'm the favorite, being the highest rated. It goes as follows: I need to face everyone in the club; Adam, Austin, Ian, Dillon, Tim, A.J, Dylan, and Colin. These are MY results thus far.

Austin: Win
Adam: Win
Dillon: Win
Tim: Draw
A.J: Win
Dylan: Win
Ian: To Be Played
Colin: To Be Played

I am winning by one half point, in front of Ian. This was a surprise to me, because I didn't consider him much of a threat. He has a loss to my draw. That doesn't really help in my judging of strength because he lost to someone I pummeled, but he won against the person I drew. Both were the result of a stupid blunder.

(I hung a knight, he hung his queen.)

This is going to be big. My training boils down to one match. I am facing Ian this Friday, and if I win, I Clinch. Even if I draw, I need to only face the weakest member of the club, Colin, and win. The odds are in my favor, but I am not going in there overconfident.

Well, I'm sorry for the nonsensical ramble. I needed to post, and this is very important. The next day immediately after the tournament ends we all fly off to Vermont for a tournament. This could make or break my confidence.

In other news, my new blog has been launched. 100 hobbies. It has nothing to do with my chess improvement, so don't worry, I'll continue to post.

2 comments:

chesstiger said...

Nice results. I wouldn't be thinking to much about that number one spot, it could give you extra, unneeded, stress.

Goodluck with your last two games!

Polly said...

Chess is a funny game. We can struggle against one player who then loses to somebody we crush. We can't transfer the player's performance against us based on how he does against someone else. Many factors come into play such as playing styles, how they felt when you played him, how the opponent felt when he played him, the opening, etc, etc. You just never know!